Animation/Advert Research:
I liked this advert for the Adam Smith College, because it shows that anyone can apply for the college no matter what they want to study as it's shown by what the people in the animation are wearing and holding. I like the way they use the name of the college as a selling point within the video by basically saying anyone could be "Adam Smith" which is the name of the college. They also use a little typography at the end of the animation that links people to main point of the animation and fully describes what its about in a short simple animation.
Questionnaire:
I went around the college and asked the following questions.
- What do you prefer smart and professional design or ruff creative design? P/ 5 R/ 5
- What does Game Arts mean to you? S/ 2 N/ 8
- What comes to mind when it comes to Interactive Media? AL/ 2 AB/ 3 N/ 5
- Do you travel on a bus? Y/ 5 N/ 2 S/3
- Do you prefer straight to the point ads or full story? S/ 6 F/ 4
- Do you pay attention to Adverts? Y/ 4 N/ 3 S/ 3
From my results the animation/advert is going to have to be a professional design which ties in with the college as the colleges design on the website and the building itself is quite clean and professional. I'm also going to have to get the advert to cut to the point but still catching the eye of the audience.
Idea Generation:
As our college is an Art college, the design will have to be creative, unique and stand out from other advertisements as are college specialises in stuff to do with animation. So first of all I checked out the college website for inspiration and a few other college advertisements.
Idea One:
A kinetic typography animation, where it describes the course with cool animated text and designs.
Idea Two:
A text animation where it does an Q/A sort of thing asking questions like 'Do you want a course that's perfect for you?'
Idea Three:
A text pad animation where it advertises the college by an animation where it looks as though a person is drawing on the pad.
Design Plan:
I decided to go with my 2nd idea and start the animation with a question (Do you want a college that specialises in Computer Aided Design?) and make the animation more like the 1st idea as it goes along, describing all about the Art and Design course. Then I'm going to end the animation with statistics about the college. From my questionnaire research I've got to keep it clean and professional getting to straight to the point within my animation.
Design Process:
Each scene I made for the final design I put into different compositions to make it more manageable during the design process. In my compositions I used the text tool and various effects to try and portray a message clearly without using sound.
![]() |
| Composition 1 |
![]() |
| Composition 2 |
![]() |
| Composition 3 |
![]() |
| Composition 4 |
![]() |
| Composition 5 |
My Final Design:
Evaluation:
Overall I am very pleased with how my final design went, I believe it's very smooth, sleek and professional looking portraying the message I wanted it to without the use of sound. During my design there was one minor flaw I couldn't get the "plymouth college of art" bit to do what I wanted it to do, so I improvised by creating an abbreviation to word to animation which went well. All in all I think the animation went very especially the words that describe the course part, I thought the effects were very nice and I'm pleased with how I managed to get all the words to fit in the 1280/720 pixel space. Although I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of my design I think it would of benefited me if I had used some sound effects, but due to the assessment criteria of it being a bus animation I was not allowed to use sound effects but I'm still happy with how it has turned out.
Final Advert Animation:






No comments:
Post a Comment